Witness our incredible human story unfold - from the very first people in Africa to the collapse of Communism and beyond - exquisitely charted map by map.
Come on a journey through global history, told in more than 130 specially made maps that each offer a window on a key event. Step into the action and follow Ghengis Khan sweeping through China, Napoleon conquering Europe, or two world wars raging across the globe. See empires rise and fall - from the Egyptians and the Aztecs to the British Empire and the Soviet Union.
History of the World Map by Map also explains how elements of civilization, such as writing, printing, and tool-making, came into being and spread from one country to another. It tells of the rise of the world's great religions and of human endeavour such as the voyages of early explorers. It charts stories of adversity such as the abolition of slavery, and shows how people have always migrated for a better life, from the very first humans moving across Africa, to millions of 19th-century Europeans crossing the Atlantic in search of the American dream.
Journey into the past to discover:
- Maps which combine beautiful illustration with satellite relief data for unrivalled accuracy and detail
- Maps are overlaid with panels of text and information-rich graphics, for a deeper understanding of each episode
- Feature spreads offer a closer look at key people, developments, and turning points in history
- 80-page reference section contains a full-colour illustrated timeline of world events from prehistory to the present day
- Published in association with the Smithsonian Institution in the US
Endorsed by renowned broadcaster, historian, and author Peter Snow, this is an unmissable visual guide to ancient, medieval, and modern history in all corners of the world. This updated edition contains eight pages of brand new maps, and has been reviewed and updated for diversity and inclusion.