Excerpt from The Burlington Magazine for Connoisseurs, Vol. 36: Illustrated and Published Monthly; No. CCII-CCVII; January-June, 1920
Chauvigny possessed in addition to the church, five feudal castles, and to-day S. Pierre towers above a strangely rugged mass of ruins. It is ... not surprising that this small town has possessed so many monuments, for the Chauvigny pro montory commands the outlet of the steep and sinuous valley of the Poutreau, a short rapid torrent (now harnessed to work at least five mills), which ¿ows from the Fontaine de Talbat, a source collecting the numberless underground springs possessed by the rocky lime-stone pla teau of Lignes; moreover Chauvigny itself possesses quarries of fine white stone for build ing purposes.
About the Publisher
Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com
This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.