Excerpt from Records of the Welsh Tract Baptist Meeting, Vol. 1 of 2: Pencader Hundred, New Castle County, Delaware, 1701 to 1828
Nestled at the foot of Iron Hill, at the headwaters of the Christiana, is the Welsh Tract Baptist Meeting House, where for two hundred years the g... ospel has been preached; and there, for two centuries, the giant oaks have been chant ing a solemn requiem above the dead whose bodies lie buried within the meeting house enclosure.
It was early in the eighteenth century that William Penn granted to David Evans and William Davis thirty thousand acres of land, to be divided and deeded to settlers from South Wales, some of whom had at that time settled in Radnor Township, Chester county, Pennsylvania. This grant, ever after known as The Welsh Tract, is located partly in Pencader Hundred, New Castle county, Delaware, and partly in Cecil county, Maryland. Possibly one-fourth of it lies in Maryland. The northeast corner of the tractis a few hundred yards northeast of Newark Station on the P., B. W. Railroad, and extends from east to west about four and one-half miles, and from north to south about twelve miles to a point south of the Delaware and Chesa peake Canal. Prominent among the original settlers upon the Welsh Tract were the founders of the Baptist Meeting, who, with Thomas Griffith as their first minister, came from Pembroke and Carmarthenshire, South Wales, in 1701, and soon after erected a log meeting house in which they wor shiped until the present structure was built in 1746. This was the third Baptist Meeting House founded in America. The first house occupied the same location as the present one. The house built in 1746 is constructed of brick, and is said to contain some of the timbers used in the first building. The bricks were brought from England, and transported from New Castle, where they were landed in panniers upon mules. It is still (1904) in a good state of preservation and regular services are held there, a stated minister being in charge. The two hundredth anniversary of the founding of the Welsh Tract Meeting was celebrated in October, 1903.
The gospel was preached in the Welsh language in this meeting until about the year 1800.
About the Publisher
Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com
This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
Hvis denne bog ikke er noget for dig, kan du benytte kategorierne nedenfor til at finde andre titler. Klik på en kategori for at se lignende bøger.